The Vay family owned the lands of the municipality. Their Classicist-style castle was built on the orders of crown guard Miklós Vay around 1820.
The building now functions as a school and kindergarten, and also hosts the Ancient Hungarian Coat of Arms and Flag Collection. The permanent exhibition displays about 2,000 old coats of arms, the symbols of royal families, clans, churches and counties. It also presents dozens of historical flags and wall carpets. Ilona Szabadiné Sinkó created these works by using gold embroidery and needle painting techniques.
(According to the Hungarian Ethnographic Lexicon, gold embroidery – or orphrey – is a highly detailed embroidery technique that uses any metal, but usually golden thread. Needle painting is an embroidery technique blending long and short stitches.)
One of Szabadiné’s works depicts Saint Stephen, as the background contains several smaller scenes from the ruler’s life. Another embroidered carpet commemorates the Settlement of Magyars, and a third depicts a rural landscape with sunflowers.
The exhibition is currently closed due to renovation of the building until the spring of 2016.
Address: 36 Rákóczi út