The rectangular-shaped building stands on a hillside. It is two-storeyed at the street front and one-storeyed at the back.
A memorial plaque states that the 1100 AD national assembly under the reign of King Kálmán Könyves was held in this street. It is likely that the royal estate already had vineyards and cellars in that era, probably the old sections of today’s Rákóczi Cellar.
In the 1680s, the building (at that time, known as the Zelemér Mansion) was burned down by raiding Turkish troops. The Rákóczis acquired the mansion and the estate as a part of the Lorántffy inheritance. According to the legend, the Rákóczi Cellar and the castles of Sárospatak and Szerencs were connected by underground tunnels, providing an escape route for the Rákóczis.
On the site of the destroyed Zelemér Mansion, a Baroque-style wine house was built around 1775. On the ground floor, four doors lead from the pillared processing space to the enormous, four-branched cellar space.
Address: 52 Könyves Kálmán utca