The library contains 440 thousand books and scripts, including book donations from prominent figures of Hungarian history and several other rarities. The collections on theology, philosophy, literature, linguistics, social science and history are especially valuable. Under the direction of poet, critic and editor János Erdélyi (1814–1868) the collection was extended significantly, which brought European fame to the library.
The great hall was built in the first decades of the 19th century, to the plans of Mihály Pollack. Kristóf Brenning, a carpenter from Sátoraljaújhely used eleven different wood types when creating the inlaid, star-patterned flooring and shelving. The painting on the ceiling titled Allegory of Arts and Sciences is the work of József Linzbauer from Kassa. Around 25,000 items of the book collection are still in the library.
Address: 1 Rákóczi utca