The builder and the first owner of the castle was an unknown member of the ancient Aba clan. Throughout history, the castle was owned by several different noble dynasties, and on more occasions, it became the property of the royal family. After the 1526 coronation of János Szapolyai, crown guard Péter Perényi moved the Hungarian royal crown to Füzér, and kept it there for a year.
The forces of the Holy Roman Emperor destroyed the castle in 1683, so it had no role in Rákóczi's War of Independence. Its walls were left in ruins for centuries. Today, an ongoing reconstruction tries to reveal its original shape. The castle of Füzér is a fantastic sight at the top of the Vár Mountain. Its atmosphere and panorama inspired many famous artists throughout the centuries.
The irregular, rounded castle walls follow the shape of the mountain. The farm buildings – the bakehouse, the kitchen and the scribe house – were located next to the castle wall, to the right of the courtyard. The walls are almost completely destroyed.
Over the vaulted cellar, a rectangular-shaped Gothic-style chapel can also be found in the southern area of the court. This is probably the most intact building of the castle. The two great lancet windows on the end wall facing the valley are connected by stone benches, and the narrow buttresses of the cross vault have also remained. Under the vault, the lace-carved pillars held sculptures.
Facing the gate tower, a round bastion stands, which was the residence of guards and jailers.
From Easter to November, all the holidays are celebrated traditionally in the castle, and the year’s main event are the Füzér Castle Days in August.
Address: Vár-hegy. In the village, there is a parking lot for visitors and tourists. From there a single trail leads up to the castle.