The museum was founded in 1709 after Professor István Simándi brought a rare collection of educational visual aids from the Dutch city of Leyden, which were displayed at the Museum Physicum exhibition of the College.
The Natural History Collection and the Aesthetics Collection were also assembled in this period. After several organizational changes, some exhibitions remained in the high school building, and others were set up in the Berna-row. In 1952, the museum acquired the rich ethnographic collection titled Village Seminar. Nowadays, the institution displays more than 25,000 items.
The museum documented the history of the Reformed College, until it was brought under state ownership in 1952. Beside the history of education and care, the exhibition also commemorates John Amos Comenius (1592–1670). The outstanding Moravian educator was a teacher of the Sárospatak College from 1650 to 1654. In Sárospatak, Comenius wrote a book on education and visual information, titled ‘Orbis sensualium pictus’ (The Visible World in Pictures).
The Reformed Church Theology exhibition presents some of Northeast Hungary’s most significant pieces of religious folk art.
Address: 1 Rákóczi utca