The Sárospatak Gallery is located in a corner building near the church of the castle. The history of the building reaches back to the 15-16th century. Once a dwelling house in the outer castle area, the Gallery’s Gothic style window-frame fragments were found during a reconstruction in the 19th century. The year of the last major alteration, 1833, is carved in the keystone. The gallery moved to this building in 1983.
The basis of the collection was provided by singer Ferenc Béres, as the former Sárospatak student donated several pieces of fine art in 1968 to support the opening of a city gallery. Most of these pieces were created by painters, graphic artists and sculptors of the Sárospatak Creative Home organization, or by former local students.
This collection is displayed periodically, as most of the gallery’s exhibition space is used to present the works of the prominent folk sculpture artist János Andrássy Kurta, and pieces by Kossuth Award winner woodcut artist József Domján.
Address: 14 Szent Erzsébet utca