Located in the castle building, the Rákóczi Museum opened in 1950. The institution collects and presents written documents and material memories related to the castle, mainly focusing on Rákóczi's War of Independence. The museum collects various materials and everyday life objects from noble families and from folk culture as well. Beside a rich collection of ceramic and textile art, including blown-glass objects and stove tiles, the museum exhibits the personal relics of Ferenc Rákóczi. For instance, his official seal, his documentation on the national assembly, and various letters from the Rákóczi family are all displayed. The Rákóczi Exhibition introduces the historical, political, economical and cultural role of the Rákóczi family and Rákóczi's War of Independence.
In the western wing, there is a collection of 16-19th century furniture. The Bretzenheim Corridor of the palace wing provides a location for the permanent exhibition titled Talking Stones – The History of Castle Building, and a Renaissance kitchen is set up in the southwestern area of the ground floor. Another permanent exhibition titled Life of the Nobility in the 16-17th century can be visited in the Red Tower, displaying the museum’s renowned collection of Late Renaissance furniture. With the reconstruction of the Bokályos House, a unique space was created: the room covered with Turkish wall tiles reanimates the parlor of Lord György Rákóczi I. with its Oriental atmosphere. The Old Palace (Knight’s Hall) is also located in the Red Tower – this is the hall where the 1708 national assembly was held during the War of Independence.
The collection of Renaissance stones includes fragments of a red marble tabernacle found in the city parish. Its patterns show many similarities to the carvings of the Bakócz-chapel in Esztergom. The Gothic stones collection is in the cellars of the palace wing. The museum displays a significant collection on viticulture and oenology (the science of vine-growing and wine making) in the Tokaj-Hegyalja region. Introducing the wine region’s geographical conditions and important towns, the exhibition also presents traditional equipment of vine-growing, wine-making and barrel-making – including a wine press, which, according to its inscription, belonged to Ferenc Rákóczi II.
Address: 19 Szent Erzsébet utca Rákóczi Castle