The church and the neighboring monastery can be considered as the most important monument complex of Sátoraljaújhely. Throughout history, the church had different patron saints: the first was Saint Giles, then Saint Joseph, and later, when the church was sanctified, Saint Mary.
The clock of a stone-carved tower from the 14th-century, early Gothic church is now located in the monastery corridor – this is the first Hungarian mechanical clock. Its face was made in 1501.
The building received a Baroque-style frontage after the renovations, but its interior remained characteristically medieval with a relatively short aisle and a long, polygon-shaped sanctuary.
The furniture was made between 1716 and 1736. The Baroque-style main altar is the work of János György Strécius, a sculptor from Lőcse. The chapel at the southern side of the church was ordered to be built by Ferenc Rákóczi. The crypt contains the remains of György Csepelényi, a significant figure of the Counter-Reformation.
Address: 12 Deák utca