The building was a customs house until the end of the 19th century. Since 1975, it has hosted a local history collection on household items, tools and the relics of the cobbler’s guild.
The memorial room of Kálmán Kalocsay can also be found in the building. Kalocsay (6th of October 1891, Abaújszántó – 27th of February 1976, Budapest) was an epidemiologist, doctor, Esperanto poet, translator and editor. Even in his lifetime, his works were regarded as classics of Esperanto culture.
The exhibition also presents the life and legacy of historian Pál Jászay (9th of February 1809, Abaújszántó – 29th December 1852, Abaújszántó). Jászay, who was also a jurist, researched the development of language and diplomatic history as a member of the Hungarian Association of Scientists. His research mainly focused on diplomas related to the Hungarian state of the era, and the collection contains many valuable sources for historians.
The recently renovated building also hosts a Wine Museum in its cellar, supported by the project titled ‘Developing the Co-operation of Slovakian and Hungarian Partner Cities along the Historical Tokaj Wine Road’. Most of the household items in the exhibition were donated by local farmers.
Address: 42 Béke út, Abaújszántó