On the front of the building, a memorial plaque states that in the January of 1849, the house was residence of the commander of the Hungarian Army, György Klapka. During the fights, a cannonball slammed into the wall of the house, and it remains there still today.
A bookshop operates in the building, so those who are interested in history can learn more about the cannonball, here to remind us of major historical events. Between the 1st and the 27th of January 1849, the building served as the headquarters of Klapka. In the 22nd and 23rd of January, Klapka’s troops and Italian and Polish volunteers defeated Habsburg Imperial forces led by Franz Schlick. Another cannonball from this battle lodged, in the wall of a house in Bodrogkeresztúr.
Address: Rákóczi utca